Waxing random on the mundane, the funny, the soap operatic, miscellaneous mishaps, relationships, the philosophical, God, the abstract as well as the concrete, blah blah blah...

Friday, July 22, 2005

"Stuff that bothers me" rant #1...

... christians who are mad at God for not providing them w/ a mate but insistent on the idea that "God will answer my very specific list of wants." Insistence usually includes stuff that seems very superficial. I can't think of how many times I've actually seen lists w/ mostly physical attributes on them - "blue eyes, blond hair, over 6' tall, must be built, nice eyes, good kisser, etc. ... these people keep lists of demands in their purse [In my experience, usually it's women who have been told that this is a good way to go. It makes me angry that I've heard church leaders -not recently, but I have heard it before- encourage this way of thinking. Nowhere in the Bible does it mention this "magic formula" way of thinking. I'm convinced there's a lot of stuff that hasn't been well-thought out so "magic formulas" occur. More on "magic formulas" in a later rant-- continuing on current rant....] Then they wonder why the right guy won't approach them. I admire the faith part of this, but am a bit skeptical because of how petty the demands can be. Christian dating is so screwed up.

Whatever happened to character? I often feel that the whole "personality and godly" thing is just added on that list as an afterthought. The physical stuff seems to be the most pronounced in conversation. Blame the media, blame the culture... but we're personally responsible for how we conduct ourselves.

"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 b (in context-- referring to the selection of David as king, but I think the statement applies in general)

Shouldn't people who profess faith be more concerned w/ desiring what is right in His eyes, rather than being so preoccupied with outward attractiveness? No one wants to be with someone they're not attracted to, but don't you think w/ the right person, something more than physical appearance would cause a sense of endearment? Especially if God is working it all out?

Speaking as someone who tends to overcomplicate things myself, admittedly,...

Whatever happened to simple faith? And leaving the hands open to let God answer our needs.. vs. complaining because we're afraid that what we need is not what we want...?

just a rant I've been wanting to get off my chest for awhile. :P

And no, this has nothing to do with my current dating situation at all. Things are going really well. Still figuring stuff out, but enjoying the process.

This rant was just something I've reflected on and thought I'd share.. . it's like completing a thought loop and wanting to notate it. so blah.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I actually take this rant as a bit of a compliment.

2:52 PM CDT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home