Waxing random on the mundane, the funny, the soap operatic, miscellaneous mishaps, relationships, the philosophical, God, the abstract as well as the concrete, blah blah blah...

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Chocolate Pumpkin Butter

So I went for this long walk on Saturday-- exercise-- and on my way back home, stopped in at Urban Harvest, a gourmet food mart. While I was there, I tried this fantastic, totally delish pumpkin butter. MMMM! So I pick up the jar, read the nutrition info on the back-- discover that it's only about 25 calories a tablespoon... and that the ingredients are largely pumpkin, spices and sugar. That's it! but at 6.99 a jar, I decided I'd give it a try at home, and then if no success, I'd go back and buy a jar instead.

So anyway, yesterday I decided to see if I could make my own version of pumpkin butter. Here's what I ended up making: (see recipe below)

Chocolate Pumpkin Butter Recipe
1 can of Libby's pureed pumpkin (15.9 oz)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
2 dashes ground ginger
1/3 C. Honey
1 snack pack of Mott's unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips

The chocolate was added last, thought it might be an interesting twist-- I think you always need a little fat to help things taste good. And chocolate-infused pumpkin butter just sounded like a good idea at the time.

Anyways, I heated up everything except the applesauce and the chocolate, in a saucepan over low heat. This reduced the pumpkin matter and helped to bring out the flavors in the spices. Then I added the chocolate- let it melt and mixed it into the pumpkin. You never want to put chocolate in too soon-- if it scorches it ruins the whole thing-- best to let it just melt and then fold it in.

After the pumpkin was reduced to a thick brown paste, I shut off the heat. Then, I stirred in the applesauce to thin it out a bit, make it spreadable. And, voila! A new recipe for chocolate pumpkin butter!

Just thought I'd share this with you-- and it took me about 20 minutes to make.

My roomie, I think, may be addicted to this. She suggested I can it, put it in jars, and make it for Christmas gifts. Hmm... maybe...

:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home