Refreshing
Small group bible study was really good tonight. Althought the discussion on Amos was interesting, I think sometimes just the fact we share thoughts on deep spiritual things, seeking God in reading Scripture, forces us to think more deeply about the state of our existence and where God is in our priorities and how to evaluate our lives.
Unexpectedly, tonight I got a chance to hang with a few buds I hadn't talked to in awhile. Not that the study wasn't good, but I had been feeling a little lonely for friendships lately. The summer has been packed with family activities, out of town visitors, getting to know a really swell guy (sigh- warm fuzzies), misc. events- all wonderful things- but I've been feeling a little stretched out and not so involved with certain friends as I used to be. Plus the fact that we were able to discuss the spiritual paths we've taken as of late, compare notes, encourage each other, and pray specifically for the challenges we face-- it was really refreshing. There are also some really great, strong, mature women in the group- some married, some engaged, some single- it's a wealth of insight and experience to share and learn from.
Bonus- sometimes, when I least expect it, a friend comes along and knows how to really minister to me spiritually- and often it has nothing to do with intense spiritual discussion or theological debate. A guy friend stayed late and made a point of having a heart to heart chat with just me -- about life. We both started attending the same small group at the same time and I've always had a sibling-like, mischievous-imp-rogue-yet-deep-philosophical friendship with this guy. It's been a good many months since we were able to talk-- in which both of us have started new romantic relationships that seem to be taking off, and we have gone awhile without our usual cameraderie because of the dating situations, we've not been hanging around the same people and places lately, etc. etc.
It was really encouraging to get his input on a variety of topics- like what he thinks about the changed friendship landscape in the circles we're in, about a continuing change in priorities (he's stopped watching TV, I've started really watching my budget), what we're learning about dating relationships in light of past relationship mistakes, how our friendships have gotten better/worse, ... stuff that means something when you've shared experiences with the same people. We talked about what we're learning in our early 30's, how we're generally changing with the growing up stuff and surprising ourselves, how we're losing interest in superficial things, the lack of desire/need to socialize with a gazillion people (neither of us are interested in quantity- more quality),... all while tempering it all with a good dose of not taking oursleves too seriously, and being just the little tiniest bit irreverent. This friend affirmed me on many levels- probably without realizing it, and I realized how much I've truly missed being around certain friends I've done life with over the last 2 years.
I also think I've been a little depressed about a perceived loss of friends - thinking that I've been the only one experiencing a shift in life and priorities and people - and I needed to know that someone else could see the situation and validate my view. I'm not the only one who has had to learn to let go. I've grown, I've changed, and I can't expect other people to stay the same either. It's good to know my thoughts and experience aren't that uncommon. It was also good to offer encouragement and input from my female view of the world.
Spiritually, I needed this interaction. It was life-giving and refreshing. It helped me make a decision about where I belong. It helped me feel like I belong - a feeling I've missed at church for awhile. Sometimes, interactions with godly, honest, genuine people can be more convicting/encouraging/affirming than any sermon. I may learn biblical truths from the pulpit, but truth doesn't become fact until it is played out in reality.
Friends are like water to my soul. :)

1 Comments:
Hello Heidi! I know we barely see each other, but I think of you often... as someone I would like to invest time with cuz I think we could be great friends... but as you mentioned in this posting, our lives change and adjustments need to be made. Time seems to be a key factor in our age (I'll turn the big 3'O' in January)... why do we have to keep ourselves so busy? Anyway, I hope you have/had a great time at Ravinia. Hopefully we'll hang out sometime before your annual Christmas party! Thanks for sharing... I'm always inspired.
9:08 AM CDT
Post a Comment
<< Home