Birthday Karaoke Craziness
photo credits: ohtoberichWe had so much fun on Saturday, I don't know how to even blog about it!
Last year, I invited a few friends to celebrate my 30th birthday at Ba Mien, a vietnamese restaurant in uptown Chicago. It was immensely fun because Ba Mien also offers a karaoke stage for use by groups. And being that vietnamese food is cheaper (about $5 a plate) and that when you bring a group, the karaoke is free-- we had great fun, at a great price, and my friends totally rocked the joint (there are a few hams among us- which really makes karaoke the fun that it is)!
This year- I decided that I'd just repeat my 30th party (hint: I may be repeating my 30th over and over from now on) since it was a cinch to plan and a birthday is always a great excuse to get people to hang out with you and sing crazy songs in public. What I learned from last year tho, was that I should just pick out a bunch of popular tunes and see whoever would like to volunteer for them, instead of waiting for the list to slowly make it's way around the whole big table.
I think we all took turns because it was so easy to be comfortable enough to just be silly and bad, or good, or let the inner rocker (or Barbra) out. Plus, Ba Mien improved its digs this year- they whipped out the laser show and fog machine for us-- for an even more over the top experience.
With new friends and old friends and current friends all at the table, that was a great birthday present. To see everyone just being comfortable enough to be silly, it's comforting to me, despite the off-key, off-beat warbling that happens now and then. And John got to know my friends a little better and I got to hang w/ some newer friends from his/now our church. I went home energized and almost too excited to sleep.
BTW, some highlights from the evening:
- Nancy kicking things off w/ a humorous rendition of On Eagle's Wings
- Lisa rocking da howse w/ Fame, and therefore getting everyone to feel really comfortable to participate
- John singing Guns n' Roses' "Sweet Child o' Mine," Aerosmith's "Walk this Way," and the Baha Men's "Who Let the Dogs Out" with Matt and Rich on backup (oof oooof ooof!)
- Matt's parody of "A Whole New World"-- redone as "You have new mail"
- Me getting to sing a cute duet w/ John- Elvis Presley's "Suspicious Minds" - sigh
Keep in mind that the video screens displayed asian teen group dancing or carrying on some kind of soap opera drama- which often had nothing to do with the words in the music.
Ahhhh. Another successful, warm fuzzy b-day celebration :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home