Waxing random on the mundane, the funny, the soap operatic, miscellaneous mishaps, relationships, the philosophical, God, the abstract as well as the concrete, blah blah blah...

Monday, December 12, 2005

I've waited a lifetime to see this

The Chronicles of Narnia- Since fourth grade, I've been waiting to see a great screen adaptation of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

Yesterday, I finally got to watch the movie with John-- and we loved it. I loved it because it was still a fantastic story filled with humanity, redemption, and rich battle scenes. Sure, as a Christian, I've always liked the books for their allegorical nature, as C.S. Lewis wove the Christ story into this book... but as a child at heart, I've always loved the stories. When you stop believing in something, when reality cauterizes your ability to imagine and accept fantastic things, doesn't life seem that much harder to deal with? That's why I love the stories. They inspire us to dream.

Anyways,... I've heard a lot of overwhelming supportive stuff on Christian radio and church but I've been kind of annoyed that it seems as if people are looking to the Narnia movie as almost a gospel. It's not. I think anything a Christian does communicatively, the spirit in which they do it can't help but permeate what they do. For some, it's being a really honest tax-payer, or a humble leader in their business, for other's it's writing or performing. This was C.S. Lewis' labor of love, written expressly for children, not the high thinking theologian-- rather for the child within the high thinking theologian. I don't begrudge the movie turning people on regarding Christianity, the fact that God is not a tame God, that He is good and that He willingly sacrificed his own life to save our sinful ones. However, I don't want to make the movie/story more than what it is- it is a well-told tale of an enjoyable, beautiful, fantastic adventure filled with childlike wonder and magic and the triumph of good over evil.

Go see Narnia. Now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home